MISSION STATEMENT OF THE GREATER OVERBROOK STRING BAND
The Band performs annually in both the Philadelphia Mummers New Year’s Parade and formerly the Philadelphia Mummers String Band Association’s Show of Shows. In addition, the Band performs in regional municipal parades throughout the year. Our Band is comprised of members coming from all walks of life, professions, backgrounds and we share in the love of Mummery. We are a family Band with many generations, combinations of father/son, mother/daughter, grandfather/grandmother grandchildren, etc. We are a continually growing band that is small but mighty. The Band is incorporated as a non-profit, charitable corporation with the following purposes:
“The Corporation is organized exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, and scientific purposes under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
In furtherance thereof, the Corporation shall have the power and authority:
- TO Preserve the Philadelphia tradition of Mummery and String Band Music through performance in the Philadelphia New Year’s Day Parade, as well as in other parades and events at other times during the year.
- TO Foster such policies as will tend to maintain the welfare and development of the Band while creating and preserving good will and harmony among its members.
- TO Cultivate music appreciation among its members and assist them to improve as musicians, dancers and in other areas of artistic expression.
- TO Entertain and educate the public concerning music in the unique string band tradition.
- TO Administer the funds of the Corporation on a nondiscriminatory and interdenominational basis and not to restrict the use of such funds to people of any race, faith, color, or creed; and
- TO Do such acts and carry on such business and affairs as may be permitted by nonprofit corporations under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and of the United States of America in order to accomplish the purposes of the Corporation.”